Sunday 14 June 2009

Week 7: #30 Go to a gig based purely on the recommendation of a friend

I love my live music. I can feel completely blissful while stuck in the middle of a sweaty bunch of people just listening and enjoying what's being played for me. I'm simple like that.

I'm not even that fussy about what I go and see. Last week, for example, I went to see lovely, folky King Creosote at the 100 Club and slick, manufactured Britney Spears at the O2. What? I got free tickets and I wasn't going to pass up that potential car crash. It was actually very entertaining, even if she didn't sing a SINGLE note all night. More like going to see a 'show' rather than witnessing a skilled craftsman showing me what they can do.

So on Wednesday, my friend Hannah badgered me into going to Proud Galleries in London's hip (=scummy) Camden. She is, among other things, a rather excellent photographer of rock bands. She has been working closely with an unsigned London band called Morning Lane, producing their photos and promotional leaflets and so on. She was displaying some of her work and Morning Lane were playing at a night she had co-organised called Proud Experience, so I went along in support, despite never having listened to the band before.

The night itself was very entertaining with some of my favourite people in attendance (Twitter users - @rubytrubes always buys you doubles instead of singles - you have been warned) and some great music. The first support act was a young Irish lady called Kal Lavelle who looked like Robyn but played acoustic-y songs about one night stands and the like. Cute stuff. I'll be honest, I didn't pay much attention to the next band (who I think were called Eric Ness and his band) as I was gossiping and catching up with some old friends. Good thing I am not a music reviewer, eh? Phew. And finally, our headliners - Morning Lane. Hmm - I'm in a bit of a tight spot here really, as they are friends of friends. Let's just say, it was catchy stuff, tightly delivered but sounded a little too much like Nickelback or Placebo for my liking (or somewhere between the two) - there were no musical revolutions going on here. So, not my kind of thing but certainly talented guys.

All in all, a lovely night was had by all. Made even sweeter because I could walk home (I laugh in the face of your tube strike, Mr Crow!). Up next musically, The Dead Weather (with the completely awesome Jack White) and reliving my youth at the Blur reunion gig in Hyde Park. Unfortunately, mankle issues mean that there will be no bouncing up and down for me, so I may have to take a sedate place towards the back of the crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment